I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why Do I Tri?

which way east bay?


So here I go again on my own. Looks like I'll be gettin up on Saturday at 5am and driving once again by myself to Pleasanton for Tri For Fun #3. I gotta take a moment and do some 'splaining bout why it is I do what I do, that is, triathlon. It's so easy to get all caught up in the little stories and breaking down the technical aspect of training. But I'm sure some people out there haven't got a clue why people such as myself take the time to stay fit and train for events. The following are my top five reasons:

Reason 1: It makes me happpy! Quite literally, the act of jumpin in a pool and swimming even for ten minutes helped me today to turn my attitude entirely around. My body was still aching from my cold and hungover from my night at Trannyshack and stressed from my bullshit at work- when I decided to take my lunch and head to the USF Koret pool! Working out releases endorphins, as you might already know, which are natural painkillers that get you hiiiiiigh. And that's why I try to do it as often as possible...

Reason 2: It makes me sexy! Um... hullo? Now I know for a fact some of you wouldn't be reading were it not for the updated nekedness. I have to say I'm proud of the body god blessed me with- I just have to take issue with how he makes me work for it. Seriously though, the more I stay active the more I'm able to eat those pints of Ben & Jerry's (yes one to myself) and drink those vodka + sodas. I don't wanna sound like a partyboy (but I am) however as we all know it's about balance. And with each new milestone achieved I not only feel a sense of accomplishment but I think my boyfriend wants me more... and you do too, dontcha? dontcha?

Reason 3: It helps me connect with Mother Earth! Nature is the one thing that has kept me from moving to LA or NYC to work those industries. The time spent with the elements is absolutely one of the best reasons to be a triathlete. The San Francisco Bay Area has some spectacular bike trails, running trails, swim locations and vistas to catch along the way. My favorite part of the sport is the meditative moments to myself which I get during training and on race day. I have been able to forget life's worries for a short time during a run to the bridge. I've focused on how my body interacts with the elements in order to get through a swim in the Bay, or while biking up a bitch of a hill. And I love it!

Reason 4: It introduces me to new people! Anyone who knows me already recognizes me as a highly social creature. It was my coworker Jerry who initially got me into triathlon, and I've made several friends through him. I also connected with folks through the Gay Games and the training leading up to it. I'm hoping this year to introduce more of my current friends and family to triathlon- or at least to considering new ways to stay in shape. It's important to have a support network in this sport, and training is more fun in groups.

Reason 5: I can eat like a big ole pig! Okay maybe I already said that, but damn those Ben & Jerrys are good. I have to mention that some people are very strict about their diets while in training. Those people can go ahead and run past me now, I'm gonna stick to my piggy ways. Of course I am concious about what I put into my body and put extra effort at getting those fruits and veggies. But you won't see me turning away dessert. Life is just too... yummy!!

I am dying for a Cherry Garcia + Double Dutch Chocolate cone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home