I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Quieto Despertar / A Calm Awakening

Thanks to the advent of YouTube and Flash video, I am now able to share my short films with the world. Prior to this moment, the last audience to view this short was the New Festival at NYU 2004 and the Frameline Gay + Lesbian Film Festival in San Francisco, 2001.

This was my Senior Thesis film from UC Santa Cruz in 1998. It was influenced by Isaac Julien's "Looking For Langston", Cheryl Dunye's "Watermelon Woman" and the films of the Mexican Golden Era- notably those starring Dolores Del Rio and Maria Felix. I also might add that at the time I was trying to communicate an aesthetic which celebrated my Latino heritage with my pride at discovering a queer sensibility. How distant these once urgent themes seem, and yet still very relevant.


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

gads! i heart that you shared your senior thesis online. my thesis was more like a dissertation, but i digress.

i love the delores del rio reference. there's a film of hers with joel mccrea... *sigh* i've always toyed with the idea of a short film -- a statement on what it is like to be filipino, but not. perhaps this summer, it will finally come to fruition. so... thank you.

*leaves some serious brown girl love*

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home