I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mercury Rising

I will be posting about last week's Catalina race shortly, in the meantime...

Yesterday a rare celestial occurrance coincided with a tribute to the frontman of the legendary band Queen (who would be 60 this year). "The planet Mercury made a rare transit across the Sun today as skywatchers across much of Earth watched through special telescope set-ups or on the Internet. Mercury appeared as a mere dot against the huge Sun." Almost as if to herald a new beginning, this event also marked a day in which the government of the US was taken to task on an Election Day.


The Trannyshack tribute to Freddie Mercury was aptly called "Mercury Rising" and took place at the infamous STUD bar, which some are aware I used to go-go dance at. Last night would be my first time on the stage at Trannyshack, not in female drag but rather Freddie drag- as I impersonated the rockstar in both his 70s Bohemian Rhapsody era and the more sporty/leather/gay 80s look. I will post images and YouTube video as soon as I can get it. This was a really fun experience for me, and my first time working with the talented Cookie Dough. I forgot how great it feels to be on stage, since abandoning acting in highschool. It's also awesome to interpret a famous person and get positive feedback from a crowd who recognizes the songs, moves and look. Our first number was "Let Me Entertain You" in which I came out for about 20 seconds in black heshen 70s garb. The second number was "Tie Your Mother Down" and I acted as the boyfriend (Freddie) to Cookie interpreting the song. Lots of requests for photographs. I think the best compliment I could have received was from a smitten Fauxnique backstage, who quite literally gasped and clutched her chest when she recognized in my outfit some spirit of Freddie perhaps she has always loved dearly. She said I looked just like him, and for that I felt I had done my job perfectly right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home