I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

September Tri For Real



Here I am beating my personal best on the 700 yard swim in the September Pleasanton Tri For Real. Brian was in the first wave, it being his first full triathlon and he still 29 (until Oct. 20th). Even 5 minutes ahead of me I was able to catch up to him in transition, which did not please him one bit! Before I continue to compare our performances, let me say that I am fully aware that a sport like this is best raced without any petty competitiveness. I am also, of course, fully aware that as a gay man and partner in a relationship with a co-athlete I am totally entitled to being just a little petty- just a lil!

Look at how mad my baby looks below! Could it be that he did not heed my advise and wear a wetsuit in the nasty as snot late summer algae strewn lake? Maybe he was still pissed at the temperature (sub 60) that morning as he had to force himself in the water besides his better judgement. Or maybe the wonderful man I know as the love of my life just didn't train hard enough- sucka.



Whateva the case may be, let me just state that this beautiful bitch beat my ass by a long ways once all was said and done. I thought I at least could ride with him on the bike out- but OH, NO. This muthafucka spat a coupla expletives as he threw off the cap and goggles, clumsily climbed his Bianchi Brava and took the fuck off. Any dream of riding side by side in our first full triathlon together was dashed as I quickly realized that I would not be catching up to Brian now, or ever. I pretty much conceded that he would beat me on the run (shit with 6 minute miles at Wildflower how could I possibly compete). But the real kicker was how fast he flew ahead of me on the bike. . . I blame my hectic production schedule at work and his cross training as a soccer player. And that's where the comparison will end folks.



I have to say, it is always a shock to me how slow my ass underperforms on the bike. But then, when I'm at work 55+ hours a week and barely even get on the seat of my bike what the hell can I expect. Still, I press forward with all my might, I suck on a GU as soon as I get on the bike, I power through it- and all I can average at BEST is 17mph! Now somebody please tell me, if it aint the bike, what in the fuck is it?

Now I must admit, that on the run portion of this race I pretty much took it easy. The reason being, I knew that I wasn't gonna be catching up to nobody. It was a Sunday, my ass had to be at work afterward (I ended up not leaving my job until the following Monday at 10pm). Now you tell me, what would you have done knowing this? Okay, maybe it is an excuse. And if I really want to not be beat by TEN MINUTES by Brian (TWENTY by Steve Middleton!) next time, I really do have to turn it up a notch.

Still, in my defense, I must ask you this:

Do I not look fierce?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

you. look. fierce.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home