I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A priest, A party, and some. . . well

My new friend and infamous creative personality Cookie Dough has invited me yet once more to participate in a Trannyshack performance with her. Trannyshack - Ladies Of The Church night is Tuesday December 12th at Midnight.

This time I will be following my Freddie Mercury debut as Cheech Marin performing this soliloquy from the film From Dusk Til Dawn. I am to be dressed as a priest as I spout these dirty words. Rehearsal is tomorrow.

I will also be singing at Martuni's Holiday Extravaganza on Sunday December 17th from 6-9pm, Martuni's lounge on Valencia at Market Street in SF. I have been a patron of this classy piano bar since I first moved here over 7 years ago. In fact, I used to live a few blocks away next door to another former diva and hostess of Mondays at Martuni's, Madame Jo. I don't know what happened to her but I will never forget the mornings waking up on our "terraza" (read rotting Mission 3rd floor back patio) while she smoked her joints and served me Cuban coffee singing Piensa En Mi or Edith Piaf. It felt like my own Tales of the City and one day I will immortalize her through some short story or screenplay.



In the meantime y'all can see just how well I karaoke Feliz Navidad and Silent Night with Dee Dee (MC from the Mint Lounge) and Armond (fantabulous friend from college). They will be backing me up at Martuni's. Armond says it's because I want people who can actually sing to accompany my (ahem) voice. I think he's just jealous because I attempted Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy last night at the Mint- even if it may have sounded a little flat. But I saved myself with a roof raising Chains of Love, by Erasure. A lil new wave nod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home