I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Muwekma Tribe

This is gonna be a quick post cuz I'm in a hurry to get home to Brian and spend a few hours before he flies off to see his Momma in Boston (ya he's a momma's boy like me). So our tribe has a name, and it Muwekma Tribe. This is the traditional name for the Indian tribes of the greater Bay Area and is fitting since we drive from all over (hat tip Esther).

Last night was a pretty fun rehearsal with Jon directing us through all songs learned thus far. When we got to Hair the electricity in the room was not only palpable but overwhelming. I got beads of sweat all over and even some goose bumps hearing folks support Brennan (Claude) and I singing together. As for our duet, it seems to be improving with each day. At first I worried that I could match his professionalism and the loveliness of his voice. I tend to sing a bit throaty and soulful, not to mention I've had almost no training other than the karaoke mic. :( But after we were done Claude complimented me on my harmonizing, which is cool because I had asked him the week before if that's how he wanted to sing it.

I still have work to do on Donna- and Hair and every other song for that matter. It was apparent from the first day of auditions that my vocal range poses a bit of a challenge in hitting the highest notes of this song. I have resolved this by bringing my voice down an octave (is that the correct term?) and injecting a little more rock interpretation. Jon has been quite supportive in allowing us all to take our solos in the direction we like. But I am sure he will pipe in more once we work individually.

Starting to get some responses on planned publicity happenings such as San Jose Pride and even a SF Pride performance. More on this later. I hope that lots of tribe members feel comfortable with joining these. Regardless of what one's orientation may be these are traditionally open forums of expression and that includes political, individual, social commentary or otherwise. I can't think of a more appropriate venue then to showcase some of our songs from HAiR. . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i heart your karaoke training.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home