I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Inspiration

My one friend who reads this blog, as far as I am aware (comments please!) has asked me to keep up with my entries. So I turn to the image of the original Berger and co-creator of Hair, Gerome Ragni, for inspiration.

I have been researching a bit on my free time about the characteristics of this role I am playing. The most interesting information is from the Michael Bulter (original Broadway producer) website, where some of our tribe has engaged in a discussion regarding the nudity in the show.

Personally I have been feeling mostly liberated in my attitude toward appearing in the nude for the end of the First Act. And from what I've been reading that is a good thing, because Berger typically is the first to shed his robe!

I also have been talking to friends of mine who have been in this show or directed it before. One interesting comment I received is that it is less important to study others' interpretations of Bergers than it is to understand the context of the period in which Hair took place (hat tip Brian Hayes). I agree to an extent, though I must say I do know a lot about the 60s hippie movement and not as much about the stage version of Hair.

And so I am pursuing this information bit by bit. . . wherever possible. Any youtube links or websites that folks are aware of are appreciated. Need not be Hair specifically related but anything relating to the times (1960s).

On another note, we had our first publicity photo shoot which was fun. Everyone got dressed up in some last minute costumes and wigs. It felt kind of like Halloween which was annoying in a sense- as I thought the costumes detracted from our true talents. But it was silly fun, and isn't that what it's all about. The only messed up thing is that I damaged a borrowed vintage vest. It pretty much spoiled the weekend for me, as I worried what my friend would think. The production has offered to pay for repairs, but I have learned my lesson on using valuable clothing items for the theater- you just don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home