I Got Life Mother

In 1992 I found an old record of the Broadway musical Hair at a used record store. I was sixteen at the time and was on the verge of coming out. As a result, I memorized all the songs easily and fifteen years later here I am: auditioning for a lead role in the San Jose performance of Hair.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fast Approaching 3-5-0-0



I have yet to make my anti-war sentiments very clear on this blog, simply because I think most people will agree with my belief that this war has been a terrible waste of money, time and human lives. As we march steadily on toward almost 3,500 dead in Iraq however it seems that protest should be growing louder not quieter. I think that my participation in Hair can provide an inspiration if not a forum for this war protest. It is of course an extremely relevant issue, and the eerieness of the song 3-5-0-0 could not be more powerful than now. Christian, a tribe member and my fabulous commute ride companion to San Jose each day, thinks we should sing this song at Gay Pride. I think it's rather dark and may be difficult to pull off the context of some of the lines (Allen Ginsberg's quote from Witchita Vortex Sutra contains the lines "Prisoners in Niggertown, It's a Dirty Little War").

But maybe the gays could use a little rallying themselves, since on that day we should be celebrating our right to be free as well as our right to dissent. My ideal line-up of songs would be: Aquarius, Hair, Hare Krishna, Walking in Space and Let The Sunshine In. Of course, Walking In Space is best performed in low light. Maybe 3-5-0-0 instead can be done in a way that evokes the energy of the moment and segue into our own personal protest against the Iraq War. Just some thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home